Thursday 31 March 2011

My Scenery So Far

Here is some of the scenery I've built and need to paint/finish painting.

First of all - a small pipe stack.
This was my first piece, just to get me started on terrain. It's really simple, but I like it a lot. It can either provide full cover, or a ganger can sit behind one of the hollow ends so as to be in partial cover yet still able to take a few shots. It's just three equal lengths of cardboard tube stuck together, painted with chainmail and orange stippled on to represent rust.

Next - a generic industrial piece, maybe a processing plant.
I really enjoyed making this one. The two main structures were built from tin cans, with wire mesh stuck on top and a ladder stuck on each side. The steps are wire meshed cardboard, supported by two pieces of old sprue, cut to the right length. Each step is the perfect size for a standard round based model. The tall cylinder is made from a kitchen roll tube with a funnel filter attached to the top to represent an exhaust. I linked the taller platform and the exhaust together with a couple of differently sized batteries. The central ganger in the photo is standing next to a small skip, which I made out of corrugated cardboard, and filled with a PVA glue/coarse sand mixture. Same paint job as before. I just need to add a few little details and paint the rubble in the skip.

Sewage piping.
So simple it hurts. See, making effective terrain is easy. This is just effluent (waste) pipe that I picked up for less than two pounds. The only problem is that black spray didn't take to the smooth surface very well. Not to worry though, it has only chipped a bit, and metallic paint should stay a lot better.

Finally - A communications platform.
This one was a touch more complex to make, but that doesn't mean it was hard. The base is a CD. I sawed off the top of a plastic screwcap bottle, covered it, and put a piece of kitchen roll tube through the cover to make the stand. On top of that is an old coaster that I used to use as a palette, with more wire mesh stuck on top. Above that, I found an old piece of curtain rail lying around in the shed, cut it to about a three inch length, then sawed a piece off the top so that another CD could sit on it at a roughly 45 degree angle. Finally, the antenna is a four inch grip-fast nail. Still to do - Stick a wire ladder I've made between the base and platform, then paint it.

What's coming next, I hear you ask? Well, I'm currently in the process of building a generator, two hangars, and a factory-type piece, which will have a large tower and a conveyor belt production line on it, probably made from spare tank track pieces. A post will of course follow when they look at least vaguely presentable.

Tokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment